Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Sunderland Shenanigans!

So just because I've only posted about weekend adventures in ANOTHER town doesn't mean that Sunderland is no longer exciting....au contraire! :) So here is a little update on my new-found hometown!

Okay, so one thing that you should know to start off with is that about 80% of the international students here are either German or American. Of course, this was inevitably going to lead to some friendly (and extremely competitive) competition at SOME POINT. We all knew it. :P So after a large amount of friendly heckling..The German vs USA Official Football Match!


Gettin serious. Germany to the left, USA to the right. We were a little uncertain about taking on Europeans in what is, let's face it, a seriously European sport.


We ended up tying the game (only suitable, I guess), but despite freezing temperatures a big crowd turned out to cheer on the teams! I don't know about everyone else, but I think I just cheered whenever any goals were made....



It was SO COLD...Solution?

HUG.



Gaby, Syedah, and I also made a trip to the Winter Gardens (one of the sites Sunderland is known for)...It was beautiful at sunset but also....very much locked. We found an opening and slipped in!



Really it just a little park of outdoor gardens to walk through and a pond. It also features a large walrus statue (no, I'm not sure why).



They have a war memorial here for the soldiers from Sunderland who gave their lives.







I have NO CLUE about this funky little landmark...but it was kinda cute :)



The most green you will ever seen in one spot in Sunderland! I had to take a picture!




One of Sunderland's beautiful moments :)



<3 Sunderland.

No comments:

Post a Comment